At Solaris HQ we’re having a bit of a love affair with Matcha. However, I’ve taken it a step further. Not content with just drinking it every morning to kick-start my day, I’ve taken to slathering it on my face! I’m going to let you in on a little Solaris secret…when it comes to face masks, Matcha packs a serious punch.
Due to its fine consistency, it’s perfect for topical applications, it’s simple to make and best of all, effective.
So, what makes it so great and why am I hooked? Whether you want to fight acne breakouts, revitalise dull skin or inject some moisture, Matcha will do the job. It’s packed with antioxidants, it has anti-inflammatory properties due to its caffeine and catechin content, it acts as a anti-microbial agent eliminating blemishes and acne and it can be used as a mild exfoliant upon removal. It also contains epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which is helpful in reducing inflammation and evening skin tone.
Either way, this mask is so simple to make and leaves skin feeling like silk. I use several face masks regularly and this is one of them.
It’s suitable for dry, sensitive and oily skin types and it’s the perfect cure for skin that needs some extra TLC during the winter months.
To get you started on the path to mask perfection, here’s what you’ll need:
- Matcha Powder (Vanilla, or Premium grade)
And here's what you do:
1. Simply whisk the Matcha powder with a small amount of water to form a thick paste. Make sure you don’t use too much water as this will result in a mask that’s too runny.
2. At this stage you can add an extra ingredient or two depending on what you feel your skin needs, for example, some honey to soothe and soften the skin or a drop of tea tree oil for a deep cleanse.
3. Apply the mask with a makeup brush to ensure you get the perfect coverage and leave it to dry for 10 minutes. When the mask has dried, wet the skin and start to remove the mask with your fingertips in circular motions, massaging and exfoliating as you go.
4. Remove with a warm flannel and follow with your favourite moisturiser. All that’s left is to wrap up warm and flaunt your beautiful, nourished, glowing skin!